Join our community

Facebook/avncharityuk  @avncharityuk

Add EasyFundraising to your bookmarks and use each time you shop on-line

Add EasySearch to your bookmarks and use each time you search on-line

Members' feedback

"I'm finding it shocking and surprising the number of new people joining the community. Let me explain. I was diagnosed with AVN first in both knees back in 2005, over the next few years it was found in both hips and shoulders. I had never come across AVN before and felt like I was the only person with it, I was always having to explain to people what it was."
"Thankfully I found this website and community over a year ago and realised I was not the only one suffering with AVN, it has been such a help talking to fellow sufferers who understand what I am going through."
Text taken from a recent post in our community forum.

Join us

If you are suffering from avascular necrosis AVN Osteonecrosis ON, or are close to someone that is, please consider joining our AVN Charity UK community. You will find many shared experiences about AVN and how it affects each of us differently, importantly there are also excellent success stories about the road to "Pain Free".
We also welcome any health professionals who are involved in any way with Avascular Necrosis AVN, please let us know how you think you can help.

Available benefits

Claiming benefitsClaiming benefitsHaving avascular necrosis often means extra expense. You may be able to receive state benefits to help with the extra costs of having AVN, or if you’re unable to work.

It’s worth checking that you’re claiming everything that you are rightly entitled to.


Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP helps with the extra costs caused by long term ill health or disability if you are aged between 16 to 64.

You could get between £21 and £134.40 per week to help with the extra costs caused by your condition. How much you get does not depend on your condition but how your condition affects you.

You will require an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your award will be regularly assessed to make sure you're getting the right support.

Attendance allowance

Attendance Allowance (AA) is a benefit for people aged 65 or over with an illness or a disability who need help with personal care.

Access to work

Access to work provides practical advice and grants to help overcome work-related obstacles resulting from disability.

Carer's allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a weekly taxable benefit paid if you are aged 16 or over and regularly spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a severely disabled person.

Employment and Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) aims to provide income and help for returning to work for people who cannot work due to sickness or disability.

Income Support

Income Support (IS) provides a basic income for people who may be too ill to work, but not have enough NI contributions to get Employment and Support Allowance.

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s allowance (JSA) is for people who are unemployed or working less than 16 hours a week, who are available for – and actively seeking – work.

Council Tax Benefit

If you are on a low income and paying council tax you can claim Council Tax Benefit.

Help with health costs

If you or your partner are on Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, you can get help with your health costs. These include free NHS prescriptions, free NHS sight tests, and repayment of necessary travel costs to and from hospital for NHS treatment.

Housing Benefit

If you are on a low income and paying rent, you can claim Housing Benefit.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is a means-tested benefit for people aged 60 or over. The qualifying age from which you can get the Guarantee Credit is gradually increasing from 60 to 65 between April 2010 and 2020.

The Social Fund

The Social Fund makes payments (called Crisis Loans) to people for an emergency or disaster, such as funeral payments, cold weather payments and winter fuel payments.

Tax Credits

Child Tax Credit supports people who are responsible for children whether they are in work or not. Working Tax Credit is a means-tested payment for those in low-paid work. It supports families with children and workers with a disability.

Last Updated on Sunday, 09 November 2014 14:05